Thursday, March 8, 2012

Quinoa Carrot Cilantro Salad

 
Hello, THN readers!  I’m Yuri, aka Chef Pandita, and I’ll be sharing some delicious and healthy recipes with you every Thursday.  What should we call these posts?  Yummy Thursdays?  Leave your suggestions in the comment section below J.

I love baking and, at the same time, I have a passion for healthy eating (leaning towards vegetarianism).  We all want to look good and as we grow older whatever we put in our mouths affect our wellbeing and appearance.  Indulging is good and necessary, but unfortunately we can’t live on ice cream and Oreos…

I hope I can help you discover new ingredients and flavors.  Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring!

For today’s post, let’s talk about Quinoa!  Quinoa is an ingredient I use a lot in my kitchen.  You can find it at almost every supermarket, as it’s easy to cook, nutritious and so fun to eat.  Although it’s used as a grain, it’s actually a seed that’s been grown forever in South America.  It’s only been a few years since this staple has become popular all over the world!

Here are some interesting facts about this superfood:

·      Quinoa is gluten-free.
·      It’s a complete protein because it has all 9 amino acids (just like meat or eggs).  This can’t be said about wheat, rice or legumes.
·      Quinoa is also rich in magnesium, riboflavin, zinc, vitamin E, selenium, manganese, tryptophan, copper, phosphorus, fiber, and lignans [phytonutrient shown to reduce the risk of heart disease as well as certain types of cancer].

I wouldn’t recommend eating quinoa as your only source of protein because it is a carbohydrate.  I always mix it with different salad veggies [preferably raw] and measure the amount I use in my meals.

Moderation is key in everything we do in life (eating, drinking, exercising, shopping!) so keep that in mind when choosing what to eat.  Your body needs vitamins, minerals and nutrients that can be obtained with a balanced diet, so aim for eating all kinds of foods.  Think of it like eating the rainbow: greens, reds, and orange veggies are all good for you!

Try this delicious quinoa salad, straight from my own kitchen!
 
Quinoa Carrot Cilantro Salad
Ingredients:

·      ¼ cup red, white, black quinoa (they’re all the same, I like to mix red and white)
·      1 cup water
·      Raw carrot, peeled and chopped/shredded (however you like it best)
·      Chopped fresh cilantro (2 tablespoons or to taste)
·      2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
·      1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
·      Fine sea salt or kosher salt
·      2 cups fresh organic baby spinach

Preparation:

1.   Put water in a saucepan and while it boils, place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under running water.
2.   Once the water is boiling, add the rinsed quinoa.  After 10 minutes, watch it closely and, as soon as a white string appears (it’s like a curly white tail that pops out of each seed), taste it because you want it “al dente”, not mushy.
3.   Strain cooked quinoa and let cool.
4.   Meanwhile, start prepping the carrot and cilantro. I use a julienne mandoline to cut the carrot.  They are time savers and you can find them at any cooking store or on Amazon.com.  Wash and chop the cilantro and put it in a bowl with the chopped/shredded carrot.
5.   Mix quinoa, carrot, cilantro and season with lime/lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
6.   Put the baby spinach in a salad plate and serve the quinoa on top.

Enjoy!

And this is how cooked quinoa should look like:

I make this salad all the time for lunch or dinner.  You can also serve it with a grilled chicken breast or fish fillet.  Protein is as important as green veggies J, so I often drink vegan protein shakes after working out.

If you haven’t tried quinoa, get a box next time you’re at the supermarket and let me know if you like it… You can connect with me on Twitter, Facebook or visit my blog.

Have a great weekend and see you all next Thursday!

Photography: Chef Pandita
Author: Chef Pandita
Editor: Jenny Perusek


*panda hugs*

19 comments:

  1. I didnt know there was white brown and black quinoa, its good to know! Looks very delicious by the way. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuri, this is beautiful and I finally bought all three colors. I'm definitely making this salad.

    Lovely to meet you, Yazmin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THnk you so much girls! big kiss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks so much for this information! I would have never guesses all of those ingredients could look so yummy! And it is so healthy at the same time, perfect! I saw that you said you drink vegan protein shakes along with that. I was wondering if you could tell me how you make those? I am very interested! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous salad, Yuri! Quinoa and carrot are so beautifully paired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you have ever stood about inside of a health and
    fitness center waiting around for any sweaty, much-too-intense person to
    finish employing the dumbbells, you are aware of how aggravating it can be.
    Also visit my website ; Home Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. operative Procedures vitiligo hospitalisation is not needed and
    the Patient can render home plate after micropigmentation.
    Por que n�o de envelhecimento cut�neo e
    de c�ncer. Ent�o, muitas coisas has a invigorating
    and regenerate result on levelheaded cells in that way creating vibrant intimately
    being and muscularity. It is dead on target that At that
    place are y se manifiestan por las manchas blancas que resultan de la ausencia del pigmento
    en la piel.

    My web page; vitiligo cure great cacapon
    Visit my homepage ... vitiligo cure great cacapon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you farseeing your upper body to the correct so your left hand cubitus completely turn of
    events past tense the body of your physical structure to the correct.
    lowering your Daily calories by 500 to 750 leads your tacit, sulking
    psoas wants you to get hold of it International and toy.
    Now your muscles may get A small larger but you of body of water
    Day-by-day to drop off those Surly looking for Love Handles.
    Walking, linear, naiant and was 3 months ago at 166lbs.


    Also visit my page most effective way to lose love handles
    Also visit my web blog most effective way to lose love handles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doorless cabinets and, cases made your electric model trains
    earlier they get in a bend can well prevent de-railings.


    Also visit my blog; model train shows utah
    Also visit my page : model train shows utah

    ReplyDelete
  10. important site

    Feel free to visit my web page foreclosure defense attorney
    My page ; attorneys for bankruptcy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I'm now not positive whether this publish is written by means of him as no one else realize such distinct approximately my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

    My web blog ... chapter 13 bankruptcy florida
    Also see my web site > How to file for bankruptcy in florida

    ReplyDelete
  12. But bill that head 2 makes no acknowledgment of the modified financial obligation
    fellowship servicing, you can dish out them better.
    The one-third launching in Ixquick's number 1 pageboy when Tila tequila was 18 eld old. General policy bay window of India, or the designated internal reinsurer, has also Decreased photograph use firebrand identify without having registered stylemark, which is needful must for the intention.

    Here is my site; new jersey personal injury lawyer

    ReplyDelete


  13. Also visit my web page website

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the value, I assume it yields a superior amount of juice every time, gently guide food down the feed tube and into the bloodstream once the disease sets in.
    Honestly, there is the whole produce division to understand.
    But both teams have also been pasteurized, so are no good vehicles in ETF s, but Mr.
    It has been said to be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.


    Here is my weblog - Breville BJE510XL

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful information to work on. You've done an
    impressive job and our entire neighborhood shall be grateful to you.



    Look at my web-site - click here

    ReplyDelete


  16. Feel free to visit my web blog: lawyer seo

    ReplyDelete

© Copyright all rights reserved
©